The Care Quality Commission, the independent regulator of health and social care in England, has pledged to review the use of restraint, prolonged seclusion, and segregation for people with learning disabilities, autism, and mental health problems.
LDToday provide an overview of the review and responses here.
Thousands of children missing out on support for diagnosed special educational needs in England is a “national scandal”, Ofsted has said.
There are 2,060 children in 2018 who have education, health and care plans (EHCs) setting out their needs, but who receive no support at all.
Some parents said a child is only assessed when they are excluded.
Ofsted chief, Amanda Spielman, also raised the issue of children disappearing from education.
Read the article here
Two brothers on the autistic spectrum were looking for work when one had the idea of opening a comic shop. It turned out to be an inspired choice.
Read the article here
Workforce Development for People with Intellectual Disabilities
Latest updates from the national Transforming Care programme including:
- The role of social care in prevention – get involved in research
- Trainee Nursing Associates expansion in Learning Disability services
- Return to Practice (RTP) Learning Disability Nursing
- Using conversations to assess and plan people’s care and support – new guidance
- New winter campaign
- MindEd Learning Disability Mental Health
- Advice note for Directors for adult social care services on commissioning out of area care and support
- New easy read newsletter
- New journal article – Workforce development: perspectives from people with learning disabilities
- Resources from Twisted Ducks – topics important to people with a learning disability and autism
- Workforce planning and support
Find out more over at the idhekss blog
The North West self advocates forum have agreed to host a national self advocacy convention. This will happen alongside the North West Self Advocacy conference that has happened for the last 15 years.
There are 40 extra places for self advocates from across England. Can you talk to other groups or people in your region about who might come?
More information over at LDE